Removing duplicated rvm lines from zsh config files

I’ve just been cleaning up my zshell config files. I noticed that the following lines were at the end of both my .zshrc and .zprofile files:

# Add RVM to PATH for scripting
[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" # Load RVM into a shell session *as a function*

I’m not sure how I got into that situation, but this duplication was an itch which had to be scratched.

Removing this from .zshrc gives the following error when trying to use rvm:

Warning! PATH is not properly set up, '/Users/duncanstuart/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/bin' is not at first place,
usually this is caused by shell initialization files - check them for 'PATH=...' entries,
it might also help to re-add RVM to your dotfiles: 'rvm get stable --auto-dotfiles',
to fix temporarily in this shell session run: 'rvm use ruby-2.0.0-p247'.

This is fair enough: for reasons I don’t fully understand, rvm needs a bunch of paths to be at the very beginning of PATH – that’s why the lines in question need to be at the end of the .zshrc file. Looking at my path (echo $PATH), those paths are in the middle somewhere – presumably being added by .zprofile. No good.

On the other hand, removing this from .zprofile gave me a couple of  errors from rvm on opening a new terminal:

/Users/duncanstuart/.rvm/scripts/initialize:42: __rvm_cleanse_variables: function definition file not found

…and also something like curl (6) Couldn't resolve host 'rubygems.org' (I’ve lost that actual error message).

A search on stackoverflow suggested the thing to do was to remove  ~/.zshcompdump

As far as I can understand from the zshell docs, this is something to do with autocompletion:

To speed up the running of compinit, it can be made to produce a dumped configuration that will be read in on future invocations; […] The dumped file is .zcompdump in the same directory as the startup files

Fine – sounds very deletable. And indeed, deleting it removes the errors, so I can happily leave those lines out of my .zprofile. Also, as expected, a fresh .zcompdump got generated.

One final thing: I noticed that opening a new terminal was taking slightly longer than before. Compiling the new .zcompdump seems to shave off a couple of milliseconds and makes it feel nice and responsive again:

% zcompile .zcompdump